I am all about efficiency in my daily routine so I wondered what the best cardio exercises were to lose weight fast. Seriously, who has hours of their day to spend at the gym or at home exercising? I know I don’t, so I want to get maximum results for the least amount of effort time wise. I started looking at different calories burned per exercise charts and these are what I think are the ten best cardio exercises for weight loss.
1. Aerobics – This cardio exercise can burn a whopping 533 calories per hour for people weighing 160 pounds (73 kilograms) and 700 per hour for people weighing 240 pounds (109 kilograms). If you have a good instructor this can also be a lot of fun. (Note: You can also do low impact and water aerobics with good calorie burn.)
2. Bicycling – Riding through a good scenic area or on some leisurely back trails is not only great cardio exercise, but also good for the soul as well. Bicycling can burn 292 calories per hour for 160 pounds (73 kilograms) person and 436 calories per hour for someone weighing 240 pounds (109 kilograms).
3. Hiking – As I stated in the last post, I get bored with the same old routine so I like to try putting different techniques and exercises into my workout repertoire. Hiking can be good for the soul as well because you get to connect with nature again and if you are stuck in a big city this is really good for you to get out of there for a day. Hiking burns 438 calories per hour for 160 pound (73 kilograms) person and 654 calories for a 240 pound (109 kilograms) person.
4. Rope Jumping – There may be some people who have not done this activity since childhood, but you will be surprised to find that it burns major calories and can be a lot of fun. Rope jumping can burn as much as 861 calories per hour for a person weighing 160 pounds (73 kilograms) and an amazing 1268 calories per hour for someone weighing 240 pounds (109 kilograms).
5. Cross Country Skiing – Here is your excuse to go own a ski vacation! Cross Country Skiing is definitely a workout. I did it while in Alaska and let me tell you it will make all your muscles work. Cross Country Skiing will burn about 496 calories per hour for a 160 pound (73 kilograms) person and 741 calories per hour for a person weighing in at 240 pounds (109 kilograms).
6. Running – I have to admit I am not a fan of running just because it causes wear and tear on the knees and ankles, but some people really enjoy going for a good run. I cannot deny that it has great cardio weight loss benefits. The calories burned by running depends on the speed, but at 5 miles per hour a 160 pound (73 kilograms) person can expect to burn about 606 calories per hour and a 240 pound (109 kilograms) person can expect to burn about 905 calories per hour.
7. Stair Climbing or Stair Treadmill – I once read in a book that Arnold Schwarzenegger would use the stairs of the hotels he stayed in when traveling to get his cardio for body building contests. It might look strange to the hotel staff though if you keep going up and down the stairs, so you can also use a stair treadmill for the same effect. Stair climbing can burn as much as 657 calories per hour for a person weighing 160 pounds (73 kilograms) and 981 calories per hour for someone weighing 240 pounds (109 kilograms).
8. Swimming – Swimming is so much fun and a great cardio workout for the muscles. Swimming is so much fun and a great cardio weight loss workout for the muscles. Plus swimming burns a lot of calories. They say Michael Phelps eats somewhere around 10,000 calories per day when in training for swim competitions. I know every time I go swimming I am always so hungry afterwards. Swimming can burn 423 calories per hour for 160 pounds (73 kilograms) person and 632 calories per hour for someone weighing 240 pounds (109 kilograms).
9. Rowing – Some might think you need a boat to do this cardio weight loss exercise, but they have machines that simulate the rowing. Rowing can burn 438 calories per hour for 160 pounds (73 kilograms) person and 654 calories per hour for someone weighing 240 pounds (109 kilograms).
10. Walking – There is not a day that goes by that I don’t at least try to get in a short and quick 15 minute to 25 minute walk. I try to always have a pedometer around as well so that I can get in 10,000 steps per day. If you do nothing else in for cardio weight loss exercise at the very least try to go for a walk every day and you will lose weight. Walking a leisure pace of 2 miles per hour can burn 204 calories per hour for 160 pounds (73 kilograms) person and 305 calories per hour for someone weighing 240 pounds (109 kilograms).
Now you might be thinking that cardio has to be this long boring slog through the hour type of exercise routine, but that is not always the case. There is a way to step it up a notch and dramatically improve your cardio weight loss goals. You may have heard me talk about this before, but you can do this with HIIT or High Intensity Interval Training.
For instance, jump roping is a HIIT exercise if you do it fast and in interval amounts like 20 jumps and stop. Running can be made into HIIT training by adding wind sprints into your running program. This could also be done with walking. Another way to add in HIIT training would be with spinning similar to bicycling, but on a stationary bike, it can be a real intense calorie burning cardio weight loss exercise.
So in closing, these are what I believe to be the ten best cardio exercises for losing weight. Some may disagree with me, but these all seem to be great calorie burners. Also don’t forget that you can also really step up your cardio weight loss goals by adding in HIIT training into your cardio exercise routine.
Sometimes the standard cardio weight loss plan of eat healthy and get some exercise can get a little boring. So lately, I have been looking at other interesting weight loss techniques and I stumbled upon homemade body wraps for weight loss. Body wraps are basically a wrap that you can place around yourself in order to lose weight, detox your system, and improve your skin.
I have a friend that is a distributor for one of the large weight loss body wrap companies called “It Works!” I was surprised though when I learned that they charge as much as $25 dollars for a small weight loss body wrap.
Then I looked at what the local spas charge and was shocked at the prices that ranged from $99 to as much as $300 for one weight loss full body wrap.
I started doing some checking around to see if it was possible to make my own weight loss body wraps. I found numerous books and websites that have many great recipes that help you lose inches, save you money, detox you, and help your skin all at the same time. The idea behind the weight loss body wrap is pretty simple.
Today we have a guest blogger named Michael. Michael is going to tell his story of how he lost 41 pounds during a weight loss competition.
One day I was sitting in the office with some coworkers and we were discussing the different diets we had tried in the past. We talked about the merits of everything from Low Carb Diets to Weight Watchers. I had just seen the documentary called “Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead,” where a man from Australia named Joe Cross decides that he was tired of being seriously overweight and the health problems that went along with it. Joe Cross decides to go on a green juice diet fast for 60 days and travels across America interviewing people about diets and health. While doing this green juice diet he loses a ton a weight and is able to go off his medication.
Here a couple of fast weight loss exercises you can include in you cardio weight loss program to really speed up your weight loss. The first of these fast weight loss exercises is something known as HIIT or High Intensity Interval Training. HIIT is still being studied by scientists and has been used by Olympic trainers. The basic concept of this HIIT exercise is pretty simple. You can use something like a stationary bike or a treadmill. The goal is to do sets of extremely high intense but very short bursts of exercise intermittently for 15 to 20 minutes a few times a week.
So for example on our stationary bike you would start to pedal slowly, then after a few minutes begun to pedal as fast as you possibly can and do that for 30 seconds and then go back to a slow pedal again for 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat these cycles of intense then slow exercise throughout the 15 to 20 minute workout session. Doing HIIT has been shown to speed up your metabolism and has great cardiovascular benefits.
Are you overweight? Do you lack the energy and the time to work out? You know what they say, working out gives your body energy to get through the day and the next workout. The problem is, they nobody tells you how to get the energy in the first place. We all want to get in shape, feel better and look better but not many of us know where to start or even how to get started. Well, I am going to let you in on a not-so-little secret. It’s called Green Coffee Bean Extract and it is the newest breakthrough in weight-loss technology.
I am sure you have heard of Green Coffee Bean Extract recently as it has been reported on in the news and on all of the talk shows. But do you really know what it is all about? A lot of people usually turn the channel as soon as the latest fad diet infomercials come on. Make no mistake, Green Coffee Bean Extract is no fad diet concoction or useless pill. Many thousands of people have had great success with their weight loss programs as soon as they started taking it and so can you. Here is some useful information about Green Coffee Bean Extract that could change your life forever.
Well the holidays are over and if you overindulged than you might be wondering what the some of the best ways to take off some of those holiday pounds.
1. Drink lots of water. Your body needs water to flush out the toxins and it gives a feeling of fullness if you sip it though out the day. I suggest adding a lemon wedge for flavor and even better weight loss benefits.
2. Try juicing out. You could even try a couple of days of juice fasting using good green juice that you make yourself. This is where a juice machine comes in handy. Make it a morning ritual for a tasty and healthy breakfast. If you do try doing a juice fast it is important to consult your doctor first.
3. Set yourself a realistic weekly goal such as two pounds. The reason for a weekly goal is to keep oneself motivated. Another is that many people try to jump into a cardio weight loss program and become too wore out to continue. Who hasn’t set a New Year’s resolution then found themselves paying for a gym the never even visit because they started out to hard.
4. Track your weekly weight loss goal on your smartphone or tablet. There are many great apps for this weight loss tracking. If you are anything like me your smartphone is just a part of your life so why not make it your electronic weight loss coach?
5. Move around. The human body was designed to move. Many jobs today require hours of sitting which is not good because it slows the metabolism down. There are also certain hormones that will only trigger when we get moving. So find ways to keep moving throughout the day. If you have to stand up every 15 minutes from your desk and walk around do it. Just find ways to move throughout the day.
Today I woke up after an unrestful night of sleep feeling sluggish and tired. I grabbed my morning cup of coffee and sat wishing I could just go back to sleep, but I had things to do. I went throughout the day craving sweets and feeling hungry even after eating a healthy meal. I had heard before that too little sleep can cause problems with weight loss and could even cause weight gain in some cases. So I decided to do a little reading on the subject and here are only a couple of the many reasons I found that a lack of sleep can wreak havoc on a cardio weight loss program.
More studies come out every day that shows how important sleep is in your weight loss program. Getting the right amount of sleep is important while trying to lose weight. There are many reasons why getting enough sleep is important. One reason is so that you will have the energy to complete your physical activity for the day. The second reason is that sleep controls certain hormones in the body which regulate your appetite like ghrelin and GLP-1.
Visceral Fat Can Destroy Your Health – Many Find It Out Too Late
Many people don’t know what is visceral fat, how it affects our health and how to deal with obesity that creates. Visceral fat, situated between internal organs and torso, in abdominal cavity is also know as intra-abdominal fat or organ fat.
It is packed between the internal organs, such as stomach, intestines, heart, kidneys, etc. When it increases in the body, it causes obesity know as “central obesity” or abdominal obesity, in which the abdomen protrudes forward in the shape of an apple.
Sometimes people joke and call this kind of belly the “beer belly” or “pot belly”.
But this condition is not a joke and Continue reading “The Fastest Way To Get Rid Of Visceral Fat” »
Did you ever tried to replace your emotional weakness or distress with juicy, opulent meal? Many do that not knowing that this is the way back to gaining weight.
It is quite natural to reach out to some form of comfort when one feels down and emotionally depleted, when you are angry, hurt, frustrated, stressful, in fear, bored, sad or lonely. Some people do it consciously and other to it unconsciously. Such eating is called emotional eating.
Triggered in so many ways of today’s “modern way of life“, emotional pain or frustration can really consume a lot of our energy and we feel that by taking a good meal the energy will come back. But if you eat while feeling not good or not calm, you actually increase the negative feelings.
Emotional eating can sabotage your Continue reading “Weight Loss Tips For Emotional Eating” »
Anxiety goes hand in hand with the increase of the body weight. It is well known fact that as we increase the size of our bodies, we decrease the level of self respect and self confidence; we become anxious about how others see us and, even more importantly, wonder will they accept and appreciate us.
One of the greatest motivators and emotional triggers in humans is a need to be appreciated. Nobody likes being not appreciated (unless you are self realized, spiritually powerful master, who is indifferent to all infamy and glory).
When we are overweight, we like ourselves less and when we like ourselves less, we become anxious that others will also not like us or appreciate.
Through physical activity and exercise, we loose weight and with every pound lost, we gain in self confidence and feel more appreciated.
One of the members of this site wrote to me: Continue reading “Anxiety Relief Through Physical Activity.” »